INTRODUCTION TO THE CSS EXAMINATION
CSS Exams are based on a competitive examination conducted by Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC) Islamabad every year for recruitments to post in Basic Pay Scale –17 for following occupational groups under Federal Government.
- Commerce & Trade Group (CTG)
- Pakistan Customs Service (PCS)
- Pakistan Administrative Services (PAS)
- Foreign Service of Pakistan (FSP)
- Inland Revenue Service (IRS)
- Information Group (IG)
- Military Lands and Cantonments Group (MLCG)
- Office Management Group (OMG)
- Pakistan Audit and Accounts Service (PAAS)
- Police Service of Pakistan (PSP)
- Postal Group (PG)
- Railways (Commercial & Transportation) Group
PARTS OF CSS EXAMINATION:
CSS Examination is given for the selection of candidates for occupational services under FPSC. The Commission ensures that selected candidate is perfect in all aspects for the post or service. Candidate has to undergo all the parts of CSS Exam for appointment against a post. The CSS Exam comprises the following.
- WRITTEN EXAMINATION: The written exam carries total 1200 marks. For written Exam candidate has to take all compulsory subjects (papers) which carry total 600 marks as well as select subjects from optional subjects, which carry total 600 marks. Each paper is given time of 3 hours. There are subjective questions as well as some MCQs. MCQs are to be attempted on computerized OMR Answer sheet, whereas subjective questions are to be attempted on Answer Book. Blue or black ink is allowed only. For qualifying written test a candidate should obtain at least 40% in each compulsory subject and 33% in each of optional subject or 50% in aggregate.
Compulsory Subjects (600 Marks) Optional Subjects (600 Marks) Total Marks= 1200
- MEDICAL TEST: Candidates who qualify the written examination will be medically examined by the Medical Boards constituted for the purpose to ensure that candidate is in good mental and physical health and free from any physical defect likely to interfere with the discharge of their duties. The candidates who (after such medical examination which Government or the appointing authority, may prescribe) are found not to satisfy these requirements, will not be appointed except the disabled candidates as rules mentioned for disabled candidates by FPSC. Disabled candidates must submit a certificate of disability issued by the competent authority designated for the purpose by the Federal/Provincial Government. Disabled candidates in the categories of physically impaired, hearing/speech impaired (deaf & dumb) and visually impaired (blind) are allowed to compete for Competitive Examination against four Occupational Groups/Services viz:
- Pakistan Audit & Accounts Service
Disabled candidates will be provided helper such as Writer, if so requested by them in their application forms. In order to prevent disappointment, candidates are advised to have themselves examined by a Government Medical Officer of the standing of a Civil Surgeon before applying for admission to the examination.
- PSYCHOLOGICAL TEST: All candidates called for Viva Voce will be required to undergo Psychological Test first, comprising written tests and group tasks. Such tests are designed to assess abilities, attitude and personality characteristics of the candidates with special regard to their aptitude for the Civil Services. Separate marks are not awarded for the Psychological assessment. However, 300 marks assigned to Viva Voce also reflect the performance on Psychological Test. Candidates must bring their National Identity Cards and two copies of recent photographs when summoned for Psychological test, and Viva Voce. If a candidate remains absent in the Psychological Test, he/she will not be allowed to appear for Viva Voce.
- VIVA VOCE: In CSS Exams, Each candidate who qualifies written part of the examination will be interviewed by a Board. S/he will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the interview is to assess his/her suitability for the services for which he/she is entered and in framing their assessment the Board will attach particular importance to the moral and ethical qualities of the candidates, his/her intelligence and alertness of mind, his/her vigour and strength of character and his/her potential qualities of leadership. The Board will take into consideration his/her extra–mural activities such as sports, debates, hobbies, etc., and their effect on his/her physique and character, in assessing his/her merit. All candidates are expected to have basic knowledge regarding Islam and Pakistan. Questions may be asked in the Interview on these subjects. Persons securing less than pass marks in these subjects will not be considered for appointment to Government jobs, irrespective of their proficiency in other fields. However, the Non–Muslim candidates will not be asked any question regarding Islam.
ELIGIBILITY FOR TAKING CSS EXAM
Male as well as female candidates can appear in CSS exam if they fulfill the following eligibility criteria.
The candidate must be a citizen of Pakistan or permanent resident of state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- 14 years of formal education recognized by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) is required in CSS exams. Candidate must possess at least 14 years education to be eligible.
- A candidate can possess any Bachelors Degree (B.A, B.Com, BBA, B.Sc, LLB, MBBS etc.) from one of the Pakistani Universities or an equivalent degree or comparable educational qualifications of a foreign University recognized by Higher Education Commission (HEC), Islamabad.
Essential Requirement: The Bachelors Degree must be passed with a minimum of 2nd Division (or grade C). Previous academic records do not matter in eligibility for CSS Exam.
Note: (i) A candidate who has obtained a Third Division (or `D‘ grade) in his/her Bachelor‘s Degree will be eligible for the Examination in cases where he/she has obtained a higher Division in Master‘s Degree.
(ii) The decision as to which foreign degrees or comparable educational qualifications are equivalent to corresponding Pakistani degree rests solely with the Commission.
NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS IN CSS EXAMS
A candidate may attempt/avail three chances of the examination within prescribed age limits.
AGE LIMIT IN CSS EXAMS
As per the latest rules of CE–2017, age limit for CSS Examination is 21 to 30 years. The upper age limit for CE–2018 is same as it was for CE–2017 i.e. 30 years and cut off date for age calculation will be 31–12–2017. This means that an applicant shall be considered ineligible if his/her age is 30 years on/or before 31– 12–2017.
RULES FOR AGE RELAXATION
The upper age limit will be relaxed by two years up to the age of 32 years in respect of:
- the candidates belonging to the Scheduled Caste and Buddhist Community subject to production of a certificate (Annex–A of Application Form) to be issued by Political Agent/DCO/ District Magistrate in support of their claim.
- The candidates belonging to the recognized Tribes who are permanent residents of the areas mentioned–below and whose families have been living in these areas. Such candidates must attach a certificate (Annex–B of Application Form) to be issued by Political Agent/ DCO/District Magistrate in support of their claim:
- Tribal Areas of D.I.Khan and Peshawar Divisions (including former Frontier States of Dir, Swat, Chitral and Amb).
- Former excluded (Baluch) area forming part of the Dera Ghazi Khan and Rajanpur Districts.
- Former Tribal Areas of Mardan and Hazara Divisions.
- Upper Tanawal Area of Hazara Division.
- The candidates who are permanent residents of Azad Kashmir Territory, subject to submission of a certificate (Annex–C of Application Form) to be issued by Kashmir Affairs Division, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad.
- The candidates who are permanent residents of Gilgit – Baltistan including Gilgit, Diamir, Baltistan, Ghizar and Ghanche, subject to submission of a certificate (Annex–B of Application Form) to be issued by the Political Agent/DCO/ District Magistrate.
- The candidates who are disabled namely, physically impaired, hearing/speech impaired (deaf & dumb) and visually impaired (blind), subject to submission of certificate of disability issued by the competent authority designated for the purpose by the Federal/Provincial Government.
- In Service Government Servants, Armed Forces Personnel, Contract employees, including the Government servants of AJ&K, who possess a minimum of two years continuous Government service as on 31st December, 2013, subject to submission of Departmental Permission Certificate (Annex–E) from the competent authority. Employees of Nationalised Banks, State Bank of Pakistan, WAPDA, Regulatory Authorities, Autonomous bodies and other semi autonomous bodies are not entitled to age relaxation.
PERCENTAGE OF REGIONAL/PROVINCIAL QUOTA FOR SEATS/POSTS IN CSS EXAMS
Detail of regional quota is as under: Merit = 7.5%, Punjab = 50%, Sindh = 19% (Sindh U = 7.6%, Sindh R = 11.4%), Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa = 11.5%, Balochistan = 6%, GB & FATA = 4%, and AJK = 2%.
Note: 10% quota is reserved for women from the share of Provinces/ Regions except Merit quota. Un–filled vacancies will be carried forward. 5% quota is reserved for Minorities (Non–Muslims) from the share of Provinces/Regions except Merit Quota. Unfilled vacancies will be carried forward. No separate quota fixed for disabled candidates. Disabled candidates will compete in accordance with the Government recruitment policy.
PLACES OF THE EXAMINATION
The examination is held simultaneously at Abbottabad, Bahawalpur, D.I.Khan, Dera Ghazi Khan, Faisalabad, Gilgit, Gujranwala, Hyderabad, Islamabad, Karachi, Khuzdar, Lahore, Larkana, Multan, Muzaffarabad, Okara, Peshawar, Quetta, Rawalpindi, Sargodha, Sialkot, Skardu & Sukkur depending on the number of applicants for each centre.
How to prepare for CSS exams? How to get allocated? Here is a complete guide for you. Please click the following link to download.
Click here to download
This content was uploaded by one of our users. We do not claim any copyrights. We respect copyrights instead. It’s only for the purpose of knowledge and we do not charge for it. If you claim copyrights please inform us, we will remove it from our site.